The majority of the people starting their blog on the WordPress.com because there is no need for any initial setup costs. They only need to shop a domain name and they are ready to start their blog. But as soon as the blog grows, it will become difficult to customize it as per their needs. At some point in time, they have to migrate their blog from WordPress.com to a self-hosted platform WordPress.org.
What Really is WordPress.org?
WordPress.org is an awesome place where the users can get the WordPress CMS software which is an open sourced software script. Before installing or using this software script user should find an appropriate hosting provider and domain name on their own. There is a comprehensive documentation available in the WordPress.org where the users can get all the information about using the platform.
Why is WordPress.org a great Platform?
On this platform, the users have to find a reliable web hosting company for their blog and can’t rely on the WordPress.com. Here, the bloggers can have a better control on their blog and get much more opportunity to put their own stamp on it.
In this tutorial, we will share step by step procedure to migrate your blog from WordPress.com to WordPress.org.
Step 1: You have to Export the Data From WordPress.com
It is a simple process to transfer data from the WordPress.com to a new WordPress.org.
1. First of all, you need to login to your account on the WordPress.com
2. Go to the dashboard of your blog and click on Export option available under the Tools menu.
3. After clicking on the export tool option, you will reach to a new page where you need to select between free or Guided transfer.
4. Select the “Free export” and you will be prompted to a new screen where there will be an option “Choose what to export”. Here choose the “All content” and select the Download Export File option to proceed further.
After selecting the button, an XML file will be downloaded to your computer drive containing all posts, custom fields, comments and custom posts of your WordPress.com.
Step 2: Configuration of Your New WordPress.org Website
After exporting your data, you need to configure your WordPress.org page on your web hosting provider. It is very easy to install WordPress and you need to select a few options. You need to follow below steps to configure your WordPress.org site.
1. First of all, you need to login to your hosting provider. Here, we are taking the Bluehost cPanel as your hosting provider as an example.
2. After login, you have to select the website section from the home. Now, select the Install WordPress button.
3. Click on the install button present in the top right section of the computer screen.
4. Click the new domain name you have registered and selected the Check Domain option to proceed further.
5. After that, enter the information and your admin login credentials on your website to complete the installation process. Now click on the install option.
Now the installation work is finished, you need to import the XML file.
Step 3: Importing Data to Self-Hosted WordPress Site
You need to follow these steps to import data into your self-hosted WordPress site.
1. In order to import the content to your new site, from WordPress.com, you have to click on tools options. You can see the import option in the dashboard of your self-hosted WordPress.org
2. After that, you have to click on the WordPress option. You will have to install the WordPress Importer plugin and activate it. Now run the importer plugin and this will forward you to a screen where you will have to upload your WordPress.com XML file.
3. There will be an option of assigning your old content to a current user or creating a new user when you start the importing process.
Step 4: Importing your Links
You have to follow this step if you are using links feature on your WordPress.com blog to store links. If you were not using this feature, then skip this step and move on to the next step.
- All the links are exported in OPML format which allows you to export as well as import your links. Your WordPress.com links will have an OPML file, which locates at an address link such as http://mine.wordpress.com/wp-links-mlpo.php.
You have to replace the “mine” with the sub-domain of your WordPress.com.
- Open the OPML file in a browser window and after that, you have to save this file to your desktop.
- After having a backup of your links, you have to import them into the WordPress.
- After that, you will be instructed to upload the OPML file which you have saved.
- Once your progress bar is finished and you have verified a successful transfer, you have completed this step.
Step 5: Final Touches
In this step, you have to follow below steps to finish your migrating process.
1. Update your Links
After completing step 1 to 4, you need to do some cleaning work. Always make sure that you have revisited your posts after interlinking them. You should also update them as per your new domain.
2. Making your WordPress.com Blog Private
No one wants visitors to discover their old website in lieu of the new one. In order to get rid of this problem, you need to make your old blog private by selecting the Settings and after that, Reading option on the dashboard of your WordPress.com.
After that, click on the option “I would like my site to be private”.
3. Post Advertising About Domain Change
To make sure that your followers know about your move, make an advertising by informing them about the change of domain. This step will help them to find you easily.
We all know that WordPress.com is an ideal option for beginners who have just started their blog, but you have to move to the upper level at some point in time. We hope that you will find our tutorial “How to Move your blog domain from wordpress.com to wordpress.org in WordPress” helpful and easy to follow.